Waterford county stars Austin Gleeson, Pauric Mahony and Gavin O’Brien inspired Waterford IT to victory against Cork IT in this afternoon’s epic Independent.ie Fitzgibbon Cup semi-final at Limerick IT.

In the second semi-final, UL beat LIT to reach the final, which will be played in the Gaelic Grounds on Saturday night at 7.30pm.

The Déise trio hit 1-18 between them as holders WIT repeated last year’s final victory over CIT.

Gleeson was the pick of the bunch, contributing 1-6 over the 80 minutes, a haul made up of 1-5 from play and a glorious sideline cut.

Mahony was also in deadly shooting form, hitting six of his eight points from placed balls, while O’Brien landed four points from play.

WIT came good with a stunning performance in extra-time to break CIT hearts again.

Gleeson’s second half goal had hauled WIT back into contention after CIT opened the second half of normal time with four unanswered points.

Cian Buckley’s late point for CIT took a game that was level eleven times into extra-time – 0-15 to 1-12 – before WIT turned the screw.

They were a point clear at the turn, 1-15 to 0-17, before Gleeson and Mahony contributed four of WIT’s five points in the second period of extra-time.

The sides were deadlocked at half-time in normal time, 0-7 apiece, in a memorable encounter.

Early points from Cian Buckley and Noel McNamara, a late replacement for Daire Lordan, handed CIT the early initiative but O’Brien and Mahony replied with points to level matters.

Mahony and Tipp’s John ‘Bubbles’ O’Dwyer, who had a mixed bag of an afternoon, traded scores before McNamara, thriving on Bill Cooper’s excellent work on the right touchline, edged CIT a point clear again.

With referee Fergal Horan electing to let the game flow, a big crowd was treated to an entertaining first half and the game was levelled up at 0-4 apiece by O’Brien in the 18th minute.

John Cronin and Mahony exchanged scores before CIT, with corner back Stephen Murphy in superb form, moved two clear through O’Dwyer (free) and Kevin Kavanagh.

But WIT hit back to restore parity before half-time with two points from Waterford’s 2013 All-Ireland minor medallist Gleeson – one from play and that superb sideline cut before the interval.


Scorers for WIT: A Gleeson 1-6 (0-1 sl), P Mahony 0-8 (5f, 1 65), G O’Brien 0-4, J Dillon & J Hayes 0-1 each.

Scorers for CIT: J O’Dwyer 0-5 (3f, 1 65), C Buckley 0-3, N McNamara, J Cronin, A Walsh, B Cooper & D Lordan (1f) 0-2 each, K Kavanagh 0-1.

WIT: D Stapleton; T Fox, G Teehan, J Maher; T Hamill, M O’Neill, O McGrath; J Langton, S Roche; H Kehoe, P Mahony, A Gleeson; G O’Brien, L McGrath, J Dillon. Subs: J Hayes for L McGrath (57), S O’Neill for O McGrath (60+1), G Malone for O’Brien (77), E Ryan for Kehoe (79), P Campion for Dillon (80+1).

CIT: G Minihane; S Murphy, A Dennehy, T Lawrence; J Herlihy, M Ellis, C Buckley; A Walsh, W Murphy; N McNamara, J Cronin, B Cooper; J O’Dwyer, C Hammersley, K Kavanagh. Subs: M Russell for W Murphy (39), P White for McNamara (48), J Coughlan for Kavanagh (55), D Lordan for Hammersley (70).

Referee: F Horgan (Tipperary).


Report: Jackie Cahill