On Thursday evening last, WIT’s footballers made the long five hour trip to the Connacht GAA Centre in Mayo in search of their first ever Trench Cup Championship Title. After being beaten in the final last year by championship favourites DKIT and beaten semi-finalists the previous year, they were hopeful of getting over the finish line this time round.

Unfortunately however, it wasn’t meant to be. The weekends first Trench match saw DKIT demolish Blanchardstown IT on a score-line of 1-18 to 0-3 points on Friday, before WIT opened their campaign of the weekend with a meeting against Marino Institute of Education. In a hard fought battle, WIT came out with a narrow 1 point win over their rivals. It was an incredibly exciting game which saw a last 10 minute flourish from WIT to come back from 3 points down and clinch their narrow victory. Specials mentions from the semi-final go to the forwards Niall Harney, Nigel Murphy and Conor Murray who kicked some fantastic scores and gave the Marino defence a tough time. After the game the team went back to the Mc William hotel for a recovery session and to put preparations in place for the final the following day.

On Saturday 18th February, WIT entered the field of play at 1pm in the hope of putting last year’s defeat behind them. However, WIT did not get off to the best of starts, conceding a goal in the first minute of play. Driven on however by their captain Jamie Snell, WIT fought back well to only trail by a point going into half time, 1-05 to 0-07. Similar to the previous half, the second got off to a bad start with a quick DKIT goal from a turnover ball. DKIT seemed to be in control at this stage, plucking away with points and hitting WIT for another goal. WIT trailed by 9 points, 3-9 to 0-11 and that’s when the comeback began. WIT hit DKIT with 1-5 with no reply to get back to within a point with 2 minutes remaining. Unfortunately a break and a point against the run of play sealed it for DKIT. In the top tier of what is Sigerson football, UCD were shocked in the final by St. Marys who won on a tally of 0.13 to 2.06.

WIT GAA Club would like to both thank and wish all the lads the best of luck for the rest of the year, both in a sporting and indeed academic capacity. Their commitment and determination is certainly to be admired and it is no doubt that they will bounce back from this narrow defeat and do the College proud once again in next year’s competition. Finally, the club would like to thank managers Pierce Connell and Emmett Doherty for all their hard work and effort throughout the year.