For the sporting fan who loves that extra bit of drama and magic then you have to be a fan of the Waterford Institute of Technology senior hurling team as they put their supporters through 80 minutes of thrills and spills before eventually having to settle for a  draw with University of Limerick in an enthralling Fitzgibbon Cup final in the Gaelic Grounds on Saturday night last.

With a driving wind blowing down the field on Saturday night it was a nervous start from WIT with wind advantage, as they trailed by 0-3 to 0-0 inside four minutes as John McGrath pointed for the Limerick men, before Harry Kehoe got WIT on the board with a point.

Kevin O’Brien had UL in front 0-4 to 0-1 after twelve minutes of action before a moment of magic from a side line cut by Austin Gleeson gave WIT a real foot hold in the game. John McGrath finished the opening half scoring with another point for the Limerick College as UL went to the dressing room leading 0-6 to 0-4 despite playing into the strong wind.

Within ten minutes of the restart UL had pushed themselves four points clear with a goal from Tommy Heffernan pushing them to 1-7 to 0-6 in front. Pauric Mahony and Jake Dillon contributed points to keep WIT in touch, before UL pushed for home with points from Cathal McInerney, Tony Kelly and Jason Forde as they held a 1-10 to 0-9 lead with ten minutes on the clock.

Pauric Mahony pulled WIT level in the final minute of normal time and WIT hit the front for the first time in the game with 30 seconds left when Johnny Hayes fired over a majestic point from the wing. However there was a sting in the tail as UL were awarded a free in the final second of injury time and Tony Kelly dually converted to send the game into extra time.

If anything the saying of goals win game was thrown out the window after this contest as UL hit two goal in extra time, the first when they were chasing the game as WIT hit early scores on the resumption of play from Pauric Mahony and Jake Dillon, with the UL goal coming from Jason Forde in the seventh minute of extra time as UL led 2-11 to 0-16 at half time in extra time.

The third UL goal in the second period of extra time looked to have been the nails going into the WIT coffin, but Colm Bonnar’s army once again had the heart and desire to strike back. With the backs to the wall, Martin O’Neill, Johnny Hayes and Tomas Hamill hit booming points and it was left to corner back Tom Fox to strike the equalising point that sent the game to a replay after 80 minutes could not separate the sides.

The replay date is yet unknown as Croke park officials expected to make the fixture this evening with UL pushing for a replay this week however this is highly unlikely as WIT players have been involved in 4 full matches and two extra time periods over the past 7 days.

WIT qualified for the final in another epic semi-final victory this time it was an extra time victory over Cork IT. WIT seem to have an Indian sign of Cork IT with the Leesiders looking likely winners in this game until WIT hit back late and in extra time there was only going to be one winner as WIT powered by Owen McGrath, Ger Teehan and Jack Langton won by 1-20 to 0-19 with the crucial goal in the game coming from Austin Gleeson who finished the semi-final with a massive 1-6.​

Final score: WIT 0-21 – UL 3-12 (AET)